Sunday, May 2, 2010

Eggs

This post by E triggered a few thoughts, and since I've neglected my blog so badly I thought they'd be worth sharing. (Shoot, anything that gets me here and writing is probably worth sharing.)


In the mid '90s, I worked at a business that sold freshly-made pasta. Their pasta was wonderfully light, and that lightness was due to the dozens of eggs that went into each batch of pasta. E mentions that double-yolked eggs are an unusual occurrence. I guess they are, but we got plenty of them at the pasta place. I guess they weigh in differently or something, and that's how they get boxed up for foodservice use.


Whenever I can, I prefer to buy organic eggs. One afternoon, I approach the dairy section and am dismayed to see a slightly disheveled-looking man poking about in several opened boxes of organic eggs. This really annoyed me, because I didn't want some stranger's hands in what could be my box of eggs. Yeah, I know, several people had already handled them before they wound up in their little cardboard box.


I asked him what he was doing. It seems he was perplexed by the many different shades of brown in the organic egg boxes, and he was trying to find a box with eggs that were all the same color.

Ummm...

1 comment:

Rusty's Mom said...

You're mostly right about food service getting the not so perfect eggs that the old guy was looking for in the organic boxes.

They use a process called candling to find eggs with double yolks, blood spots (harmless, but freak some people out) and other unusual occurances in an egg.

Basically what happens is they shink a light up to an egg and they can see inside. Any egg that isn't "perfect" gets seperated. Some go to food service, some go the pet food suppliers and others go the places that make egg products. Unless they are cracked or broken none of them go to waste.

I hate when people open packages to dig through things in a supermarket. E