Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Another Food Addiction

I've always loved the combination of hazelnuts and chocolate. In fact, I'll never forget the first time I tasted them together. My friend, S., spent our graduation summer in Germany and gifted me with a boxful finely-chopped hazelnuts moulded in milk chocolate upon her return. They were divine, and I did my best to savor that box of candy for as long as I could stretch it.

In recent years, my hazelnut-chocolate craving has been fed with these:


And these (the dark chocolate is equally divine).


How is it that I spent my entire grocery-shopping existence walking by and never really noticing this?


I've seen it on the shelf, sure. I remember passively thinking, "I wonder what that's like," and quickly dismissing a purchase because of the hideous price attached to it. I didn't want to make that kind of investment on something that might be too gross to finish.

This week, my stupormarket had the small-sized jar of it on sale, so I impulsively dropped one into the cart.

Overnight, I've become a full-blown Nutella junkie. I enter the kitchen and immeditely fight the urge to snitch a baby-spoonful-sized nip from the jar. My mind is whirling with culinary possibilities. The top of my wanna-try list is a schmear on a slice of toasted home-made pound cake.

I went back yesterday and bought two more jars.

And, no, I never noticed the "Ferrero" logo on the jar, or I would have been hooked much sooner.

Do you enjoy Nutella? How?

3 comments:

Rusty's Mom said...

I live in a capsule so why would I be impressed with Ferrero?

One of the homeschool moms loves this stuff and brings it to all the gatherings as a dip for all sorts of things. Pretzels and strawberries are all I can think of right now. When I first saw it I thought it was a chocolate dip, that is how she presented it. It's yummy stuff. E

Just Me said...

I didn't mean to imply that Ferrero is some highly-recognized food-snobbery name. The only connection for me is that Ferrero makes those Rocher candies (in the first pic) that I love so much. Nutella is the creamy filling in those candies.

Rusty's Mom said...

You probably saw this but I just had to let you know anyway, just in case. Look what I saw on PW...

http://thepioneerwoman.com/tasty-kitchen/recipes/special-dietary-needs/gluten-free/homemade-nutella/

After you get all the ingredients you may as well just buy the stuff but hey it might be fun to try.