Sunday, April 20, 2008

(Mis)fortune Cookie?

On Friday night, The Oracle and I took the kids for a long-awaited dinner at our favorite local Chinese restaurant.

To say that my children behaved like savages is an understatement. The Oracle took our horrid children to the car while I paid the bill, squirreled the fortune cookies and left.

We got home, sent our banshee children to their rooms, and devoured our cookies over coffee. I've always had fun with fortune cookies. A long time ago, one of my friends (Was it HB perhaps?) told me to put the words "in bed" at the end of the fortune as you read it aloud. Quite often this made a dullish fortune a lot more fun.

Well, Friday's fortune stunk. I couldn't even play HB's little word game for a chuckle since it made no sense that way.

This was my fortune: "You are next in line for a promotion in your firm." The average American would take this as a good thing, but I'm self-employed.

1 comment:

--V said...

You've never heard of self-promotion?

Sound cue: rim-shot.

[Slinks out shame-facedly]