Monday, March 23, 2009

Two Wheels!!

After nearly four years...



...and a wobbly start...


...Precious Daughter has finally ditched the training wheels.


"Four years," you ask? Why so long? Well, Precious Daughter is a bit of a worrier. She worried about falling and getting hurt. (See the elbow & knee pads?) She also didn't practice very much, and The Oracle and I didn't exactly hound her on the subject. BUT, Precious Daughter wants a scooter. She's wanted one for more than a year now, and I told her we weren't going to spend the money on a scooter so it could collect dust alongside her bike. Greed is a powerful motivator.

Lately, though, she's been hitting that bike almost every day after school. The training wheels were still on, but she understood that if she could ride without the training wheels touching the ground, she was doing it on her own.


Hooray, Precious Daughter!!!


Mighty B. generously provided hazard training, whizzing his bike back and forth on the driveway in Precious Daughter's path. It got so bad that I had to pull my "old lady" bike out of the garage (AKA my little-used 40th birthday present to myself) and ride up and down the street with him just to keep him out of the driveway.

About twenty minutes or so later, I was reminded that I had a cesarean section four weeks ago. Oops.


Not to be outdone, Mighty B. demanded that The Oracle remove his training wheels. (Unfortunately, I'd already put the camera away.) We had a smaller-sized bike sans trainers, but he wasn't happy with that. The trouble is that his current bike is a smidge too big for him. When we bought it, the guy at the shop recommended going a bit larger so he wouldn't outgrow it so quickly. With the trainers on, it works well. With the wheels off, he has a long way to stretch his foot to keep from tipping over when he stops.

By the end of the day, he wanted the training wheels put back on. We haven't complied, and I'm not sure if we will. Knowing Mighty B., he'll nail this within two weeks.

1 comment:

Alice said...

I can't believe you're riding a bike so soon after having a baby! You're inspiring me, too. Although I've still got a little while to wait. :)