Wednesday, July 30, 2008

What's Wrong Here?

A very observant court reporter spotted the following in a Wal-Mart, and she was compelled to post it on my favorite message board.


Can I tell you this sort of thing drives me nearly insane? It makes my eyes itch just to look at it. What makes this even worse is that this isn't some temporary, handwritten sign, the kind of thing where errors like this are common. What makes this so bad is that it's a purposely-ordered and paid-for typo.
.
It reminds me of the time when, in my old job in purgatory, my boss got involved in a "Conference on Collaboration." The idea (I vaguely recall) was to get people to work together and recognize opportunities for networking and sharing resources on whatever projects they were doing. Part of my job involved putting all of the responses into a database and later printing name badges for attendees.
.
I don't remember how I did it, but I completely misidentified the bigwig speaker. Never mind that I worked my a@@ off on everything my boss handed to me for that conference in addition to my regular duties, that glaring error negated every ounce of my hard work. I might as well have been on vacation for several months.
.
And that is one of many reasons why I am an independent contractor.
.
(Thank you, Aminah, for posting this photo!)

7 comments:

Cort said...

Gah, I hate that! I see superfluous apostrophes EVERYWHERE.

And now, because I'm an odd duck, I'm picturing that kid from that horror movie saying, "I see superfluous apostrophes," instead of, "I see dead people." LMAO.

--V said...

The one that drives me crazy is when people use quotation marks for emphasis instead of underlining something. I've seen that in print too.

Anonymous said...

'Eats, Shoots and Leaves' is my favorite book, except when I realize that it's not fiction - people actually don't know the basic rules of punctuation. Want to know what is scarier? Kids today don't care - punctuation is not used in texting (except for question marks and exclaimation points) - and teachers award points for "trying".

I'm homeschooling Bonnie. She may never learn calculus or chemistry, but, by Ganesh, she'll know the English language.

Wonderful World of Weiners said...

I sooooo want to shop on Black Friday but I never do. I DO go to the mall and just watch everyone frantically run around. AND listen to all the cheesy Xmas music!

Hallie

Anonymous said...

I think my brain just exploded.

Anonymous said...

I can not stand the desecration of the English language today. You see it everywhere. I don't claim to be an expert in grammar and I would starve as a writer but My
G-d can people today even manage elementary school level grammar? Can you say RUN ON SENTENCE :-) And the example it sets, yikes !
Remember how kids for a while thought relief was spelled "Rolaids". I learned how to spell bologna by watching Oscar Meyer commercials. But now it's a joke to butcher it and kids (and adults too) pick it up that way.

I had never heard of "Eats, Shoots and Leaves" and cracked up when I looked it up. I have to get that book.

E

Wonderful World of Weiners said...

4 days and no blog. Are you sick? Do you have roaches in your bladder??? (hee hee - couldn't resist!)

Hallie